Data Protection Solicitor
This job has been closed.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Data Protection Solicitor/Associate to join our commercial team in Bristol.
To work with colleagues to help clients succeed in realising their business objectives, through the efficient delivery of appropriate legal advice and assistance.
This role will include preparing and advising on all aspects of data protection compliance including:
- Advising on data protection compliance generally
- Advising on subject access requests
- Advising on data protection issues in contracts and in corporate transactions
- Advising on issues around information security particularly in the context of new technologies and ways of working (cloud computing and BYOD etc)
- Advising on data protection breach management including drafting submissions to the ICO
- Advising on and drafting data protection policies and procedures
- Advising on the Privacy and Electronic Communication Regulations in the context of electronic marketing
- Ideally also dealing with Freedom of Information Act issues
- Experience in education and technology sectors would be beneficial but not essential.
Legal advice and action
- Take and record clear instructions
- Investigate evidence
- Research matters of fact and law
- Provide concise analysis of research applied to facts
- Provide concise letters and reports for clients, written in plain language
- Undertake negotiation and/or advocacy when appropriate
- Draft concise documents in plain language
- Demonstrate awareness through action of the Firm's core values
- Develop personal profile and recognition throughout the firm
- Contribute to appropriate business development activities of the Department and the firm
- Wherever the opportunity arises, promote the services of teams from across the firm to the client for whom you are acting
- Introduce new clients to the firm
- Achieve agreed business development targets (if any)
- Identify and attend appropriate networking opportunities
- Play an active role within the department
- Supervise as required and take responsibility for performance management for those whom you supervise
- Involve the secretaries and other support staff in an effective way
- Take responsibility for delegated work, ask for guidance in respect of matters which are unclear and report errors which need to be resolved
- Prepare and conduct Performance Development Reviews and where appropriate take responsibility for the development of staff under your supervision
- Conduct recruitment interviews (where necessary) for secretarial/assistant support
- Participate in Veale Wasbrough Vizard's knowledge networks and systems to share ideas, know-how, expertise, documents and precedents
Financial Management (Under the supervision of a Partner)
- Provide accurate cost estimates for clients
- Update clients at regular intervals (at least 6 monthly)
- Bill clients accurately and at agreed times
- Achieve agreed targets, including hours and billing
- Comply with the Solicitors Accounts Rules
- Deal promptly with any working capital exercises
- Ensure any changes relating to the file are notified to the lawyer in charge of the file
- Achieve targets as set out in business plan and/or budget
- Demonstrate compliance with the Firm’s quality standards and procedures
Learning and Development
- Attend the Management Course Stage 1 within the first three years of qualification
- Comply with CPD requirements and identify specific training needs
- Attend appropriate departmental training sessions
- Attend appropriate internal courses (for example management and IT skills)
- Provide informal & formal training as appropriate (e.g. mentoring & internal team presentations)
The Ideal Candidate
Required Skills, Knowledge and Experience
Admitted solicitor with current Practising Certificate and up to seven years' experience in data protection. Must demonstrate an ability to work to the Law Society's Skills Standards and to provide accurate and focused advice to clients.
The ability to:
- Conduct effective case and transaction management including supervising juniors within the data protection team
- Develop strong client relationships
- Communicate concisely both verbally and in writing with colleagues and clients
- Draft documents that are clear and concise
- Interview and advise clients, helping them decide the best course of action
- Research the relevant legal issues applicable to a case
- Conduct negotiations where appropriate
- Confidence use of office IT applications; good typing skills.
- Provide training to clients on data protection desirable but not essential
VWV is a full service law firm ranked as a leader in both the Chambers & Partners and Legal 500 directories. Our firm-wide core values of teamwork and collaboration, putting the client at the centre of the firm and taking a commercial approach ensure a dedicated and expert service to all of our clients. Our high standards have been recognised by the Law Society through Lexcel and their Conveyancing Quality schemes.
We have been accredited by Investors in People as a firm who are passionate about developing our employees. We have a clear strategic plan in place with our core purpose and our focus is our clients, commerciality and delivering through effective teamwork.
With over 400 members of staff across four offices in London, Watford, Bristol and Birmingham, we are a medium size national law firm with a commitment to the training and development of our employees at all levels. This can be demonstrated by our Bronze Investors in People accreditation. On top of this, we have the reputation of being a friendly firm with approachable staff in all areas of the business. 96% of our clients say they would recommend us which, we believe, is a strong indicator of our culture.